Thursday, June 26, 2008

Burnt Toast (Ault Park 4, A Race)

This report will not take long as my participation in last night’s race was not a lengthily ordeal.

At the start line, I noticed that the field felt a little lean, like it was missing a few key players, although I couldn’t put my finger on any specific person that wasn’t there. I did notice that Huntington had a full squad there and Mike House was there as well. I knew that was not a good thing because the last time Mike House raced at Ault Park was several years ago and he lapped the field by himself. On the 3rd or 4th lap, the first brake got away. It had 5-6 people including House and Pete Bauer, so I know that was bad news, but I also knew that it was early and it would be difficult for any break to last an hour… be patient, Nick. Then a few laps later, a second break got away, also about 5-6 strong, including Eric Knight of Huntington Bank. Now things were ugly. Multiple folks were throwing half-hearted attempts at bringing back the breaks, but w/ little to no progress. I started to get a little nervous that we would be lapped, and the general demeanor w/i the pack was one of a wounded gazelle, just biding our time till we are put out of our misery. I hate that feeling. The sands of my patience hourglass ran out and I decided that I needed to either pull that break in myself (at least initiate some cooperation) or die trying. I got to the front on the back side and started ramping it up as though I was leading out a teammate. I drove well past my redline and pulled through the finish line w/ no one coming around to share the burden. I continued through the chicane and gently pulled off to the right to find a nice place to die – I was toast, burnt, crispy toast.

I rolled around a few laps only to find that the break(s) were brought back in, trying to take some solace in my effort somehow triggered that sequence of events. I am still sulking; hopefully I can focus that energy into the Blast this Saturday.

No comments: