Thursday, June 26, 2008

25 June 2008 /// Ault Park B Race

I knew better and now I am kicking myself up this hill. Where is that ugly red and black duct tape line?

I don't care what I have to eat before a bike race, as long as it is oatmeal! It has been this way for years; probably beginning in '95 before a muddy Paoli Peaks XC race or maybe it was '01 after a good go at 'cross nats. Similar to stepping on the foul line of the ball diamond, or Sabo not having his shoes with fresh Krylon red paint, I knew I was risking a lot without my oatmeal. It is my mojo. And aside from the psychology of steel cut oats, physiologically, oatmeal has more merit. Racing hungry stinks. Racing on empty hurts.

And so, with a few laps to go, racing without the oats jinxed me. I got popped into the gutter. I hope it was an accident and "EN GARDE!" if it wasn't knucklehead! The 'cross skills came into play nicely as the Mavic's screamed. Aluminum on cement is a bad, bad sound. Cone created a clumsy bridge across the storm grate. One foot out and back in. Floored it to get out of the soup. Found myself too close to the front on the way down the hill. The usually suspects let off the gas and I felt it was time. Half-a$$ed gas from the bottom all the way up and it was enough to hold them off. Endorphins are good!

Ciao for now.

My apologies to The Hasse for the erratic race on my part. We will get them next week. With my oatmeal and without the gutter.

the_pale

6 comments:

curveship said...

Sounds like we need to arrange someone to bump you into the gutter before every sprint! Being pissed off is a powerful motivator.

Are the R-SYSes now R-Scratched?

the_pale said...

curveship.
RSYS are sold to ebay land...
Mavic Open Pro attached to the powertap;
I know you enjoy the numbers the most:
27.72 seconds of 804 watts average got me home safe, sound and seeing stars...

curveship said...

Open Pro? Now you're a-speakin' my language!

Wise choice on the ebathification of the RSYS.

What do you weigh? I know it's less than me, 'cause everybody weighs less than me. 804 watts for 28 seconds is no foolin' power.

the_pale said...

seem to be holding at a dollar 68.
Need to stick to a proper athlete's diet and lose 5-7 lbs of weakness. Are you using Coggan numbers? What are your numbers lately? I need to keep working my weakness and up my FTP.

curveship said...

168, man I wish. I'm about 10% heavier than you right now. My best for 28 seconds is about 950w, so pretty close in w/kg. For comparison, it took 1015w for 24 seconds to win Lynchburg this spring.

Coggan's chart only has columns for 5 second and 1 minute power, nothing in between, so it's hard to say anything from this. Making some rough guesses, you'd probably be somewhere in upper cat 3 land, like me, for the 1 minute duration.

the_pale said...

ah, the story of my life...cat 3 power. boo. or my favorite was reading that my power profile showed an untrained cat 3 with a good sprint...bah! being slow is no fun. 1015 for 24. that is a good rip. what kind of speed did you top out at? Flat finish I assume...