Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ault Park #2


I arrived at Ault Park Wednesday a little nervous for a couple of reasons. I hadn't ridden in almost a week and I hurt my knee running in a triathlon relay on Sunday ( we still came in 1st in the relay (out of 1) :) My legs felt a little hollow warming up, I was pretty tired from riding all day at work in the 90+ degree heat. Anyway, the B race started and I immediately gave up on my goal of contesting the first sprint. Luckily, Matt and Brett sped to victory, taking 1-2 on lap 5. I worked to make sure I was in good position for the middle sprint, and with help from my DH brethren, I was able to pass Geoffrey Reynolds (now with Team Dayton) at the line for 1st on the double point sprint.
I recovered for basically the next 9 laps and was still toward the back as we approached the end. I could see Matt and Brett ripping it at the front and was able to hitch a ride up to them for the finale. As we rounded the bottom, Matt came toward the outside and I rode his leadout as long as I could. When I came around, I had to slow for second as a rider from a team who doesn't need to be mentioned had died and was weaving all over the road. This stall was enough for Steve Hughes to get a good jump, taking 1st in the sprint, with me right behind for 2nd. I ended up tied with him for 1st for the night, moving into 2nd for the series.
Another good night thanks to my Darkhorse teammates, Matt, Brett, Tank, and Steve.

1 comment:

brown_blog_9 said...

Not bad for havin' a bad knee Hoss!