Wednesday, June 3, 2009

19 laps of futility, plus one

or, Ault Park B race #2.

Lined up tonight in unseasonably cool temps and foreboding skies with Mike M. and Alex. The squirrels came out to play tonight -- it certainly seemed a bit twitchier than last week. We skipped the first sprint, but after it three riders went off the front and stayed there. I chased, Alex chased, BioWheels guy chased, and Geoff from Team Dayton chased. We never caught them until after the lap-10 points had been gobbled up. Two guys crashed on the backside. For lap 15, I thought I was in perfect position: on the wheel of a strong rider. When he went, I stood up to go, and the gap closed as riders on either side of me stood up to sprint, squeezed in, and went nowhere. Nowhere. I yelled at them to stay out of the way if they weren't going to sprint, and instantly felt like a jerk.

I was frustrated. Three sprints, no Darkhorse points. I found Alex's wheel and stayed safe for laps 4, 3, and 2 to go. On the bell lap I followed him around the right side, where he picked up Geoff and the other Team Dayton strongman. We bided our time, and when Alex went, I went. Alex stayed strong and won the sprint; I couldn't come around him (believe me, I tried) and rolled in second, hollering "Yeah!"

After 19 laps of futility, we had one perfect lap. Sweet.

2 comments:

Joe Biker said...

Saw that. Good stuff. A Darkhorse double!

curveship said...

Heck yeah! Nice work guys!