Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ault Park #3: B race

What a difference a year makes. Last year, if you'd told me that I'd contest two sprints (one of them double-points) in the Ault Park B race and take 3rd in both, I would've been pretty stoked. If you'd told me that I would do this three days after the state RR, with some sharp pain in my lower back, and after a poor night's sleep, I would've thought it was beyond what I could possibly do.

Last night, all these things were true, but I expected more. Yes, I've become greedy.

Lined up with Matt and Alex and 50 others. Unlike previous weeks, it was fast from the start -- Ben from Team Hungry even took off like a bat out of hell on the first lap. On lap four, I got on Alex's wheel, but by the time we reached the downhill on lap 5, it was clear we weren't getting to the front. So we sat out that sprint, and hung around for lap 10, when Matt took me around the outside. I got a decent sprint in, and came in third, behind Bo Sherman from Dayton (series leader) and Charlie from Turner (Cat 4 state champion, probably second-place in series by now, and quick-recovering youngster -- grrr.). I've been trying to get around Bo and Charlie since week one, and it's just not happening yet. Meh -- but four points is four points. Soon after, as I was beginning to get some position for the lap 15 sprint, I saw that Matt & Alex had done their day's work -- so I found Geoff Reynolds's wheel, kicked it, and -- we had a carbon copy of the lap 10 sprint: same players, same top three sequence.

After that I was gassed -- more tired than I realized. I sat in for three laps, tried to get to the front for the final lap but didn't have it. As I rounded the bottom of the hill and saw that I was in about thirtieth position, I eased up and soft-pedaled in. Apparently there was a sprint for thirtieth that nobody told me about, however, because someone rear-ended me tire-on-tire. I heard a "Hey!" and the sound of bike on pavement. After I crossed the finish line, I tried to figure out what happened, but no luck. My guess is someone was head-down trying to finish fast and didn't expect to come upon a slower rider, but that's just a guess.

So like I said: a couple good sprints and six points on a night when I felt like a scuffed penny. Not great, but certainly not bad. I'll take it, but I'll be back next week looking for better.

1 comment:

brown_blog_9 said...

Stretch that back and those hammies out GOOD Mr. Smith!