Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ault Park #4: B race

Hot 'n' muggy last night up at Ault. We had a big field with a fair number of new riders even at this late stage of the series. I entered tied for third with Greg from 7HR, and we were both 17 and 19 points behind the top two, so not much hope of catching them. The goal: be more active than last week and get a few points ahead of Greg.

Matt and Alex lined up this week, and both were strong men tonight. I told Alex that I would fend for myself on lap #5, but that I'd love a ride toward the front on #10. Then we'd see how the rest played out.

I missed out on the lap #10 sprint, and even though I thought I got 4th on both #5 and #15, apparently I got fifth. No points. I didn't know this at the time, but even when I learned it afterward, I didn't care, because I felt so much better than last week, and I was having fun racing. Alex, on the other hand, nailed the lap #15 sprint and finished second I think.

Near the end of the race I found Matt's wheel. He took me a new way to the front, riding the curb and taking it tight. On lap #20, he ramped it up on the downhill, and as we came around the bend one guy took a flyer. It got a little crowded, but I got a great jump off Matt's leadout, and headed in pursuit of the flyer. Just then, I heard disaster strike behind me: one of the Turner rider's chain broke in full sprint. I held my sprint to the line in second, for six points on the night.

Big thanks to Matt and Alex, who both win "Most Amazing Fitness Gains in One Week" awards.

And it was great to see even more Horses line up in the A race -- 4, if I count correctly, including the enigmatic and elusive Chris Anderson. I even saw Tin finish just out of the points on a sprint -- nice!

Come on out to the race this weekend at the Hyde Park Blast: fast, fun, good crowds, plenty of stuff to do, and your registration fees go to charities (not our pockets). More information at hpblast.com.

4 comments:

Mark said...

USA Cycling -Mens Cat 4 (1-88) Road Race Rankings in OHIO 2009

Rank Points Name
1 68 Shannon Smith
2 50 Michael Malmer
3 45 K. Scott Carter
4 40 Dick Chartier
5 35 John Bodell
6 30 Mark Farmer

wow...look at all those points - it's almost time Shannon...Sesame Street number of the day is 3. This might mean a cross upgrade too
tee hee hee...

your pal,
Opie

shannon said...

oh no, no upgrade in cross till i race a few cross races and learn how to shoulder a bike without poking my eye out.

KaiserHorse said...

Actually, I won the 15th lap :)

shannon said...

sorry, Kaiserhorse -- won't happen again.