Monday, April 14, 2008

Lynchburg, 4th in the 4's


Don't worry, my blog will not be nearly as long as Adam's for 2 reasons. I am not nearly as eloquent or talented a writer (or rider) and I don't remember half of what happened anyway. As you could tell it was cold and windy, but thankfully not rainy. We rolled out with the 5's (which explains some of the sketchy riding) and after the first turn, the attacks started. Team Abundance (formerly Anthem?) was off the front all day long. We managed to reel most of the attacks in, thanks to Brett and a few others willing to work. Finally, a lone Abundance managed to get off the front which no one was too worried about since he was alone. Sure enough, he stayed away and was eventually joined by a teammate when I was too far back in the pack to notice. There were a few feeble attempts to bridge but no one was willing to work together so they stayed away. The last lap, we reached blazing speeds approaching 15 mph as no one wanted to burn any matches and we know the break was out of reach. Brett volunteered to help me out in the sprint so I got on his wheel and with 1km to go, we reallized we were way too far back for the sprint. I had probably 15-18 guys in front of me with 800m to go. Unlike Adam's well laid out sprint plan, my thoughts were "Go fast, pass people" so I just passed as many guys as I could while seated. At about 250m to go, I stood up and gave it my all, passing enough to take 4th in the field, 6th overall. There were 2 Cat. 5's ahead (I'm not proud) so I ended up 4th overall, my best result ever!
Thanks to Brett for the teamwork, we'll get 'em next week.

2 comments:

brown_blog_9 said...

Nice job Men!

stylehorse said...

Good work Alex. Sorry for the poor lead out. We'll get'em next week.