Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Four Horsemen of the New Richmond Apocalypse

The end of the pack was nigh for many a brightly colored rider at the New Richmond Rampage tonight. We four horses -- Brett, Alex, Mike and I -- showed up and put our spurs to the bunch. By the end, only two of 25 riders were still with us. Now, I should probably mention that almost half the pack, including many of the big guns, decided to ride back on their own and skip the climb, and a flat detained another 4. But I think it's pretty impressive that we made up 2/3rds of the final lead bunch. Even Mike came through strong, despite all his claims to being out of shape, losing his bike, moving, etc. etc. And horses led at both the sprint and the top of the climb. Not bad guys.

Now, if we could only keep the 70 degree weather a few more days.

4 comments:

the_pale said...

Great job fellas!
I like the Four Horsemen reference.
Eric Nachtraub, Pete Bauer, Jeff Sakasci, and Matt Bell used to ride Ault Park under the same moniker. And it eventually became Darkhorse...I can imagine the drought, famine and mass starvation that followed in your wake last night. Awesome! I will be joining you in a few weeks; the legs are coming around.

brown_blog_9 said...

How did you fare in the big sprint into New Richmond "Sir PowerTap Horse"?

curveship said...

I'm not sure it was the "big sprint" this time around. OB (don't know him, Alex and Brett told me that was his name) did the lead out, trying to pull some of his Junior riders in. But when he saw I was on his wheel he let up. One of his guys went so I jumped too, but it turned out to be a looong way to the sign. More of a headwind slog between he and me than a sprint. But I passed him with about 100m to go.

seattle slew said...

Ah yes, another harbinger of spring is the return of the Rampage. Great to see the strong blue representation. It gets me all homesick to reading about it.
Keep up the strong efforts horsemen!