Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Georgetown

The Georgetown road race (#6 of the Series) was not only my first road race win but also my first race as a member of the Darkhorse Racing team! The excitement of winning was an awesome feeling, so much so that I stopped short of the finish line (half disoriented from the extreme effort of my breakaway) and walked my bike across the finish line. I must say it kind of takes some of the luster of the win away when you get reamed by the race director for being a potential hazard for the sprint finish that came about 15 seconds later, but oh well.

That being said here is a general overview of the race:
It raining all day but the temp was very comfortable and the course was not was curve filled as advertised so the wet roads weren't that dangerous. The Cat fours started with 17 and ended with 9 and all 9 rode alone together the last 2 of the 4 twelve mile loops. One descent followed by a nice curve, where at least two racers whiped out (Dan says someone in his race even nailed a road sign) followed by a little climb was the only signifacnt elevation change during the race.

Alex and I talked a little strategy during the race about the right location to make a move towards the last half mile but I noticed that any time some one flew out in front of the pack it would take quite a while for the pack to get a chase organized so that was the big clue that a break away could hold to win the race.

With about 1.5 miles left in the race I decided to make a move at a location I had pinpointed earlier as being ideal. The attack came just after a sharp 120 degree turn where I coasted through at the front with the hope of sneaking down the dip in the road following by a short incline. The plan worked and I was out in front before most noticed the move and then I just kept hammering away, I briefly went off the road while turning onto a new road, then I'm sure I lost a little ground during the last half mile but I just cruised to about 10 feet short of the line and trotted the rest of the way (accidentally).

From there is was all jokes about my bonehead finish which I'm sure Lance and Alex will never let me live down. Overall the races and group rides with darkhorses have made cycling even more fun and fulfilling than ever before. I'm looking forward to riding, racing, and jumping up categories to help bring even more noteriety to the Darkhorse team than we already have earned! Thanks for making me part of the team!

-Dave Minner

No comments: