Sunday, April 18, 2010

Vandervoort's Corner Road Race Cat 3 Report

First real race of the season for me since I can't count Hueston's mechanical issue last week as a race. Brett and I lined up for the 56 mile journey. Things started pretty tame and actually stayed pretty tame throughout the race. A couple of mini breaks went up the road but were eventually reeled in. I tried to get into a couple of them, but with no success. Finally with maybe 2 laps to go, two guys went off the front and had a pretty good gap. Then, somehow, one of them was caught but the other found his way in front of the pace car. I don't think a lot of guys realized this, even after stating to them that he was out there. Anyway, long story short, the last lap got ramped up thanks to Dayton and Abundance. With a couple miles to go, I found myself way too far back in the pack and decided I needed to get to the front. Got their pretty quickly. Looked around to see who to follow and didn't recognize anyone familiar. Just as we swallowed up the lone guy off the front, I went left of center on the road (legal for the finish) and took off with 200 meters to go and was able to hold it to the line. Yes, I won! Felt great, no cramps, perfect. Big thanks to Chris Muse for coming out to photograph us. Props to Brett for finishing 10th!!

2 comments:

stylehorse said...

Thanks man. Great job today.

stylehorse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.