Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ault Park #6 (A race)

Entering the final race of the series after missing the previous 2 weeks had me a bit relieved. The reason being was the fact that I was sitting around 10th place with no real pressure to score a certain amount of points to improve my placing (unlike last year when I started the final 5th, but ended up 6th). So my goal was to test out the legs when I felt the urge and have some fun. I figured I'd go for the first sprint lap since I would be my freshest. Wrong! I missed 4th place by a tire width (thanks John Gatch!). Speaking of John, he had a stellar night scoring like 28 points and even hitting the pavement at one point in the race.

So, I needed to rest up after that effort; and I did for the next 20 laps!! On the bell lap for 15 to go, I see Nick and Brett come by me on my left looking like they were on a mission. I jumped on the train and somehow got in between them both and was glued to Nick's wheel. We were probably sitting around 6 or 7 riders back (the front 4 were all Huntington). I shouted to Nick to go right and take the outside line at the bottom of the hill and he took off. That was all she wrote on that one as Nick delivered me to victory on that sprint. Thanks Nick!!!!

After that, Nick and I were both dangling at the back of the pack for the next 10 laps and with 5 to go we made our way up toward the front for what was likely going to be our last hurrah. We get to the bottom of the hill and start ramping it up only to get boxed in. Crap!

Being the last race of the series, I decided I wanted a little more, even though my legs would have liked to have gone home 35 laps ago. So I moved my way up toward the front over the final few laps. I managed to get on a good wheel or two on the final lap and was able to take 3rd on the final sprint giving me a total of 9 points on the night and moving me up to 9th overall (I think). I happened to see the final results for the series and they have me at 7th overall! Woohoo!

Many thanks to Brett, Nick, and Chip for their selflessness during the series and for putting your trust in me. I'm honored. I will return the favor soon!! Speaking of Chip: Heal fast!! It's not the same without you out there with us!

No comments: