Monday, July 27, 2009

Team Dayton Crit


After a long season of racing, I thought I'd better blog at least one of them. I should also thank Shannon for recaping most of my races in his blogs. Thanks Shannon! You made it easy for me to not blog.

Well, after last years mishap in the race with Chip, costing a trip to the hospital, I was sent back to fight some seious demons on his behalf. With heavy legs from a stout group ride the day before (The Team Nickmaxson-climb fest 2009), I trekked-up I-71 only to find Shannon racing (what the?). I thought he had retired his CAT-4 license for the year? So, instead of warming-up, I watched the tail end of Shannon's race.

At the start line, we had a field of about 30, mostly flush with Team Dayton and some random ex-pro guy (so, I heard). For a majority of the race, with "tired legs," I was a good boy and sat in at the back of the pack and did'nt have a lot of fight in me.

On the third corner (off-camber) going into the last lap, I found myself in the grass and riding cyclocross style, thanks to my own poor line (perhaps?) and some guy drifting a little too far left coming out of the turn. The strong crosswinds didn't help too much either, I suppose. So, I managed to get back on the road and in the pack safely. By that point, it was a pack sprint in a brief up-hill to the finish. I worked hard to pass as many guys as I could. I have to admit though, that I think many had stopped sprinting. I finished 10th place, which turns out to be one place better than last year. I'll take it!

Well, it was a fun race and a good vibe. Not sure who won, just know that Todd Frye finished 3rd. Nice work Todd (who also took a prem early on).

My race report isn't as good as Shannon's but at least I finally posted one. Later...

No comments: