Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tour of Missouri :: Stage 6 Recap








The Darkhorse reporter in the field covering the last two stages of the 2008 edition of the Tour of Missouri.  One word, FANTASTIC!  For several reasons, the KOM stage today, was a test of man versus weather, terrain, and more weather (ie. humidity that was BRUTAL).

FOR DARKHORSE RIDERS ONLY: THIS WAS A CHIP DOBSON CLIMB OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!  

Laura and I met up with my best friend Mike to drive south into the foothills of Missouri in majestic wine country.  The setting was perfect to test the mettle of the pros.  The crowds were large, the energy and excitement of pro level racing was enjoyed by young and old, cyclist and non cyclist.

Admittedly, I am very star struck after today, I met Mari Holden, olympian and world champion cyclist. See photo of me completely dorking it out, smooth move...  

In addition, I was able to stalk Christian Vande Velde afterwards for a photo op as well.  Don't worry, no Darkhorse insignias were noted, so for the future, other team mates can approach the Slipstream boys.

On the back braking climb today, sporting my super stalker Garmin podium hat, screaming and yelling like a maniac, I was actually interviewed for a documentary piece about the U.S. domestic team showdown between Garmin and Columbia.  Apparently others said I was very articulate and appeared to be knowledgeable, I shook like a leaf on the inside and thought I was a goon.  Oh well, it was fun, nonetheless.

Photos:
- Top of the climb for Stage 6, look for Mark Cavendish, (green jersey), he hung in like a trooper to win the field sprint today!

- Spongebob extraordinaire, one of three great guys we chatted up all day on the climb, they were fantastic and so damn funny!  Check out his blog!  They have some great shots from the climb today as well as SpongeBob ripping up the hill!

- Me in reporter mode

- John Gatch (one of Cincy's best cyclists and part of the dynamic duo of TwoJohnsPodcast) and his pimp ass adidas shoes.  John somehow finds time to beat up on everyone in town on a bike, then travel to work as a team rider liaison for the Tour of Missouri and the Tour de Georgia! (John, does this get me the ride in one of the team cars in tomorrow's final stage still???)

- Christian Vande Velde's TT rig, the one that was used in the Tour de France.  Ridiculously LIGHT!!!!

- Me and Christian, total serious dorkface on my part.

- Me and Mari Holden, she is an amazing athlete and so nice to pose with the likes of me... 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Shoes!

Unknown said...

OK, the first post was a test post as I tried to remember my password. Can't find it for my seattle slew account so I'm using this one

Those shoes are dope!

Great report Chris. The dork photos are classic.

Miss you guys!

Country Grammar said...

Nice meeting you rubber-side down (Chris) at the Tour of Mo, Stage 6!! I'm Bryan the Dumbass Spongebob's brother. The one that couldn't stay on his bike at Gateway Cup. Perhaps we will catch up with you next year at the ToM or GC.

Cheers